Low back pain is the most common orthopedic complaint that we see in our clinic, especially as the weather turns more favorable the incidence of these cases increases as people begin to start their favorite spring activities such as: yard work, gardening, spring cleaning, and other spring-time recreations. Over a lifetime, 40% of adults will experience at least 1 episode of low back pain, and many adults will have reoccurring episodes of low back pain1.
Common Ways We Can Hurt Our Backs:
- Trauma (fall, accident, etc.)
- Sitting or driving for long periods of time
- Bending or kneeling for extended periods
- Lifting improperly
- Twisting rapidly
Seek Help Early
Because of the frequency of low back pain, and more importantly the frequency of re-injury with low back pain, it is important to seek help when your back pain first occurs and learn proper techniques to get rid of it and prevent future painful episodes.
A 2012 study published in Spine reported that seeking early intervention by a physical therapist, as opposed to delaying intervention was associated with overall lower costs of health care services and reduced risk of later health care utilization2. Patients who were referred by their doctor within 14 days of the initial episode of pain showed reduced risk for surgery, injections, physician visits, opioid use and further imaging at an 18 month follow up. These patients also had on average $2,736.23 less in health care costs than did patients who had delayed referrals to therapy.
If it hurts to:
- Get out of bed
- Bend over
- Sit in the car
CALL US 🙂
We have extensive experience with low back pain at Holland Physical Therapy, from a variety of injuries and would be happy to help you.
What We Do To Treat Your Low Back Pain:
- Extensive initial evaluation-determine your specific impairments
- Create a treatment plan tailored to your problem/pain
- Use evidence based treatment to address your impairments- including manual therapy and therapeutic exercise
- Work with you on proper body mechanics for prevention of further low back injury
- Give you a tailored Home Exercise Program to help you continue to improve your strength and flexibility
If you or someone you know is experiencing low back pain, don’t wait to contact us and seek help today. Let us help you enjoy your spring and summer!
Holland Physical Therapy
601 Michigan Ave. Suite 220
Holland, MI 49423
Phone: (616) 355-4284
- Neuromodulation.2014 Oct;17 Suppl 2:3-10. doi: 10.1111/ner.12018.
- Fritz, Julie M.; Kim, Minchul; Magel, John S.; More
Spine . 42(5):285-290, March 1, 2017.